For information about the Oxford Dictionary of National Biography (Oxford DNB), including its history and how often it’s updated, please visit our About page.
Don’t have access? Then find out how to subscribe.
For information about your subscription, including how to log in to your administrator account, access usage statistics, and download MARC records, please visit our Customer Services page.
Librarians and site administrators are encouraged to use the Quick Search box as a shortcut to search across the Oxford DNB. Simply copy the HTML code found here and add it to your own webpage.
Help your patrons get more from the Oxford DNB
You'll find the Oxford DNB invaluable for answering your patrons' queries about people—even the relatively obscure—from the British past. But don't stop there ...
- Using the site: use our detailed Help page to get started with using the resource
- Local history: use Oxford DNB's simple but powerful searches to reveal your area's past
- Quick reference: consult our themes section—a reference companion to British history
- Interactive maps and picture galleries: colourful ways into the dictionary
- Biography podcast: favourite lives to download and listen to
- Life of the day: sign up to the daily email service or RSS feed to receive a topical life every morning
Oxford University Press has developed resources to aid libraries with using and promoting their online resources. Our Librarian Resource Centre will provide you with resources, tools, and ideas to help you make the most of your Oxford online resources.
To request any of the free promotional tools, or to offer suggestions about other ways we can help support your library, please email us at: firstname.lastname@example.org.