Haycock, Edward (bap. 1790, d. 1870), architect, was baptized on 20 September 1790 at St Chad's Church, Shrewsbury, the second of the three sons of John Hiram Haycock (17591830), architect and builder, of Shrewsbury, and his wife, Elizabeth (1758/91848), daughter of William Trevitt of Newport. He became a pupil of Jeffry Wyatville, entered the Royal Academy Schools in 1809, and exhibited student's work at the Royal Academy from 1808 to 1810. After returning to Shrewsbury to join his father in the family business, he exhibited at the Liverpool Academy from 1812 to 1814 and in the latter year became involved in an ambitious public project in the town, the erection of a monumental column in honour of Rowland Hill, first Viscount Hill. A competition was held, in which Haycock won the second premium; and it was then decided to adopt his design but to put it into the hands of Thomas Harrison of Chester, who made certain minor modifications to it (Colvin, Archs., 479).
On 13 February 1827 Haycock married in St Sepulchre, Holborn, Mary Hatton (b. 1801), daughter of Robert Hinckesman of London, with whom he had three sons and four daughters. Thereafter it appears that Haycock himself rather than his father was the main architect member of the family firm, although, in partnership with his brother Robert, he continued to engage in building as well as architecture until c.1845, after which he practised as an architect only. From 1834 to 1866 he was also county surveyor for Shropshire, a post previously held by John Hiram Haycock from 1824 until his death. He was a moderately prolific architect with an extensive practice in Shropshire, the Welsh marches, and south Wales, and his output encompassed further public buildings, including the Royal Infirmary, Shrewsbury (182730), numerous churches, and country houses. The churches are in a conventional lancet Gothic style, one example of which is St George's, Frankwell, Shrewsbury (18312); but in his major country house commissions, notably Clytha Court, Monmouthshire (18248) and Millichope Park, Shropshire (183540), Haycock confirmed his promise as a neo-classical designer of considerable merit.
Haycock also played an active part in the political life of Shrewsbury: he sat on the council for thirty-four years, rose to become an alderman, and served as mayor in 1842. He was a friend of the Shropshire architect John Carline and also of Dr Robert Waring Darwin, the father of the naturalist Charles Darwin. The eldest son, Edward junior, continued Haycock's practice after his death, which occurred in Shrewsbury on 20 December 1870. Haycock was buried in St Chad's churchyard, Shrewsbury.
Peter Leach, rev.
Colvin, Archs. · J. L. Hobbs, The Haycocks, Shropshire Magazine, 11 (Feb 1960), 1718 · J. Morris, The mayors of Shrewsbury, Transactions of the Shropshire Archaeological Society, 4th ser., 9 (19234), 142, esp. 2830 · CGPLA Eng. & Wales (1871)
Wealth at death
under £4000: probate, 4 March 1871, CGPLA Eng. & Wales